1500 M and 5K POWER WALK
1500 M POWER WALK
In conjunction with the OSG Track and Field Meet at Norman North High School
Saturday, October 13
Entry Deadline: September 29
1500 M Power Walk
Check In at 7:30 am
Event starts: 8:30 am
5K POWER WALK
In conjunction with OSG Cycling and 5K Run at Lake Stanley Draper
Sunday, September 16
Entry Deadline: September 2
Lake Stanley Draper
8301 S.W. 104th St.
Oklahoma City, OK 73165
5K Race Walk
Check In: 8:00 am
Event starts: 9:10 am
QUALIFYING RULES for both the 1500 Meter and the 5K Power Walk
1. For 2019 only, Power Walk event will be classified as an “OPEN” event. Athletes do not need to qualify at a 2018 state qualifier.
2. The minimum distance acceptable for qualifying will be 1500M.
3. National Senior Games 5K Power Walk event will be held on a road course.
1. Athletes may compete in both the 1500M and 5K.
2. Anyone can register for the event regardless if a state qualifier offers it or not. It can also be counted as a third sport ONLY for the 2019 National Senior Games.
1. The circuit for 5 K will be conducted on the road in a recommended loop of 1000M and 500M between turn around to turn around. The 1500M Power Walk will be on a standard 400 meter track.
3. Awards will be presented for 1st through 3rd place for each event within each age division.
United States Power Walking Association
Doug & Marianne Hamilton, Administrators
2. Power Walk is a Monitored Event: Power Walk is a monitored event in which an athlete can be disqualified. Power Walking, while very similar to Race Walking, does not have the same technical requirements.
3. Major points of the rules include:
a) One foot must be on the ground at all times. Loss of contact with the ground is forbidden.
b) Each advancing foot strike must be heel to toe at all times. Striking with the toe or ball of the advancing foot is considered running.
c) Creeping, where the lead toe strikes prior to the heel and knee are bent into a running form is forbidden.
d) A slightly bent knee is the accepted form but a bent knee in a running or jogging form is forbidden.
e) Running or jogging mode is forbidden.
f) Any violation in the last 100 meters as determined by a single judge is reason for immediate disqualification.
g) The advancing leg as it moves forward (and when the heel strikes) the ground; it does not have to be completely locked as it passes under the body. Soft knee is acceptable however; over excessive bent knee is deemed to be in a creeping or running shuffle is not acceptable and subject to disqualification.
h) Unsportsmanlike conduct can result in disqualification by the judges, monitors or race official.
i) Disqualification will result when an athlete is judged to be in violation of the above rules in three separate instances by three separate officials or monitors or race director during the course of the race competition.
NATIONAL SENIOR GAMES QUALIFYING RULES
1. Athletes that qualify in the 1500-meter Race Walk at the 2018 Oklahoma Senior Games
may compete in both the 1500M and the 5K Race Walk at the 2019 National Senior Games in Albuquerque, New Mexico.